Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bob and Colfax

We have another cat. Colfax is the queen cat in our household. Colfax is not pleased that Bob is getting canned cat food and yummy baby food to encourage his appetite. This means that I do a lot of chasing her away from Bob whe he is eating and removing his food when is done eating. Why? Because he will not stand up for himself. If she comes by he will stop eating and wander off to the nearest pillow to lie down. Colfax has gotten quite fat over the past few weeks. Bob has not seemed to lose more weight, but he is still between 7 and 7 and 1/2 pounds. Skinny skinny skinny Bob. Oh, and when Colfax eats canned food she vomits. Often on the furniture.

Sometime over the weekend the hostilites intensified. Bob was feeling very dumpy yesterday. Didn't want to eat, didn't want to follow Tony around the house. He wasn't even concerned that Tony and I were eating ribs within feet of where he was sleeping. "Crap", I thought, "he's thinking about dying again". So this morning I was super excited to see him wandering around and hear him complaining to me about something (lack of food? noisy birds? his assessment as to the best and worst non-litterbox places to urinate and defecate?). I picked him up and noticed that the fur over his right hip was really unkempt. Since this illness began he's been known to sit in the canned food, so possibly that was it. I looked closer. The skin was red and inflammed and there was a small amount of pus draining. I see a lot of cat fight injuries. Colfax had actually bitten him in the butt over the soft cat food!

Animals don't have a lot of correlation in their long term memories. The bite probably happened 2 or 3 days ago. So, I couldn't yell at Colfax. No, I just had to take Bob to work, restart antibiotics and ask Katie to clean his purulent butt up. Oh, and I've had to cancel his Thursday M.S.U. appointment. So, the tumors get a little break. Also, Colfax threw up a large part of bob's morning meal on one of the couches. Again, not a very good long term correlative memory.

Sigh .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My princess Samantha has become rather picky lately, so someone thought it would be a good idea to feed her a hotdog. She vomited that all over the kitchen floor. Gotta love vomiting...