Monday, January 23, 2006

Lights! Camera! Inaction!

Incredibly slow day at work means you get several postings from the silent partner today.
Since I've not been bloggerly of late, I'll take this time to catch up on recent events in my life with a mini-series of recent amazingly mundane adventures. First up:

Lights! Camera! Inaction!
Back in November I auditioned for an independent film. Just on a whim. Saw a poster making an open casting call and noted they needed a couple "male 20-30" types. Acting isn't something I've ever really put myself into - but I've enjoy what little experiences I've had (acting class, high school plays and the like). And, as there was a casting call poster in the Mishawaka Border's, and the auditions were taking place in on of the meeting rooms at the local library, the intimidation factor was pretty low.
Surprisingly, though it's a no-budget film, it has a decent script and seems to be pretty professionally thought out and structured so that it actually CAN be filmed on weekends and evening - around people's real life schedules. I did not get the part they had me read for (20-something Yale grad) - but I did make enough of an impression to get a call back for a second audition, and heaps of praise, with a lot of "I'm really not just being nice. I really mean it" thrown in. Right off the bat the mentioned that my lack of experience was actually refreshing, because they'd auditioned a lot of people with stage acting experience, and acting on stage and on camera are two very different things. It surprised me that anyone with actual acting experience wouldn't be aware of that and adjust for it. Seems obvious to me. Anywho, didn't get a speaking part, but depending on need and scheduling, they may call me in as an extra. We'll see. Regardless, it was a fun leap to take.

No comments: