Saturday, March 19, 2005

Perfunctory

Perfunctory was the favorite word of my high school chemistry teacher. If you have memories of the word being joyfully called out in regards to a series of test results, then you probably attended Batavia High School. Sadly, my voice never had the timbre to utter it with the proper mocking joy. I'd forgotten about perfunctory until this evening. Tony decided that since we have a membership to Netflix we can happily experiment with movies we'd never have payed to see in the theater. We've had Daredevil hanging around for about 6 weeks. This afternoon we decided that it was time to watch it. We had pizza. We were feeling lazy. Some days anything looks good compared to doing the dishes. My first thought was, "All style, no substance." Granted this was because one of the first bits of voiceover was, "My other senses developed a sort of radar sense." My writing is clumsy at times, but nobody pays me. Plus it was primarily hearing that took over and wouldn't that technically be sonar? I know, comic book physics doesn't equal real world physics. Anyway, as Tony was looking up mediocre in the thesaurus perfunctory popped into my head. It is the perfect adjective in this situation (in hindsight it may have also been appropriate to high school chemistry).

Perfunctory - 1. performed merely as a routine duty: hasty and superficial 2. lacking interest or enthusiasm; apathetic.

Thank you Webster's.

No comments: