Thursday, April 19, 2007

Beyond Baby, Sort Of

Believe it or not, there are things going on in our lives other than waiting for the baby (they just aren't quite as all-encompassing). Tony's working hard trying to get the kitchen redone before our new family member arrives in June. So far he's gotten estimates from electricians and plumbers. Now he just has to figure out when he can start tearing everything down so things can be rebuilt. I received a visiting scholar appointment from Notre Dame for the next year. In theory, I don't have to much different than the volunteering that I've already been doing, but sounding official makes me want to do something official. So, I'm starting work on a literature review. Hopefully, I'll be able to work on this from home once Pois is here. Am I being overly ambitious, probably, but at least I'm not planning on extracting DNA with a baby strapped to my chest. I know that I have some limitations.

This weekend begins the 6 weeks of intense business around here. Mom is having surgery tomorrow and we'll be going to Illinois to spend some time with her while she's recovering in the hospital. I work the weekend following. The next weekend is the Michigan baby shower courtesy of Valerie and Tony's Mom. I work the weekend following. The weekend after that if the Illinois shower. Fortunately, Mom has some good helpers for this as she will probably still be doing a little recuperating. I work the weekend following. The next weekend we have our hospital tour on Saturday and work shower on Sunday. The weekend after that we may not even leave the house, so if you want to see us, you have to come to us. the weekend following I work (ending my last week at work before maternity leave). The weekend following that is June 23 and my due date. At some point in the mix the crib and dresser will be arriving so we can finish up the baby room and birthing classes start on Wednesday May 9. Really, we do have a life beyond baby anticipation. Please believe me. How sad is it that maternity leave is starting to look like a vacation? I know it won't be. I'll tired and stinky and covered in bodily fluids, but they'll be baby bodily fluids and even if I'm up at 1:00am and 4:00am, I know that I'll be able to be at home at 1:00pm and\
4:00pm. Still awake, but home.

3 comments:

Corie said...

whoa! it does seem like a race to get everything done (and see everybody) before the pois... because once that baby comes, its a step into the unknown.

(actually, it sorta is like vacation when baby arrives, just a sleep-depraved one, because you get to lounge around the house in dirty clothes and really have nowhere to be most of the time, except at your little one's beck and call.) You'll have alot of visitors and people calling, or bringing food if you're lucky. And eventually, you'll venture out in the stroller or (gasp!) go to the store with the baby and you'll ease into parenthood outside the house.

And congrats on the "official title" at ND... way to go Amy!

Amy and/or Tony said...

Thanks Corie!
I'm glad to hear that I'm not totally delusional about the baby vacation thing. I am looking forward to seeing everybody and I appreciate all of the effort that has gone into the showers. Maybe we'll be up for traveling again when your little girl arrives in August!
-A

Amy and/or Tony said...

Speaking of showers...*ahem* no invites until someone calls me back to give me her address.
-tony